2/04/2008

Mardi Gras Madness

We are about paraded out. But we are still heading out tomorrow for Fat Tuesday. I had pretty much decided not to go, but the kids wanted to. so we are meeting our friends, the Courtneys, down at Beinville Square. It will be full day of parades, moonpies, people-watching, with a dash of whining thrown in for good measure. We plan to head out around 7:30 tomorrow morning so Bryan can follow me downtown and help me get all set up on his way to work. The first parade doesn't roll until 10:30 but people are probably already camped out down there.

But, when I say we are paraded out, I mean it. We went to the Spanish Fort parade a couple of weeks ago, another parade last Monday night, the LeShe's on Tuesday night, a double order of Stripers and Crewe of Columbus on Friday night, a triple dose of floral parade, Knights of Mobile parade, and something else on Saturday afternoon, and the floral parade today, again.
Here are a few pictures of our good times.
Hayden always has a better view from Bryan's shoulders. This was Saturday afternoon. We went to this parade with The Kimball's (Wendi, Chris, and Casey.) We were on the outside of a turn, which we immediately found out, was not a good place to stand.



Before the start of some of the parades, several police cars filled with cadets stop in several places around the parade route. They are lead by the car pulling that little Ken's car tunes boom box. They all get out and dance and anyone that wants to can join in. The standard dances are the Cha-Cha slide, the Cuban shuffle, and Soulja Boy. After the first night, Taylor and Payton got the guts to jump the barricades and shake what their mama gave them. I just love that the little boom box is part of the parade. I remember back when it was playing "Can't Touch This" and "Ice, Ice Baby."

It never matters how much junk we caught at previous parades, there is always a need for more, according to the girls. I am always hoping for that elusive chocolate moonpie. But the girls love to catch stuffed animals. On this night, Hayden caught a beanie baby platypus and didn't want to put it down. I was fine with that because then she wasn't trying to hold the dirty, little, looks like its been barfed on, stuffed mouse that one of the kids caught. Hayden won't let anything get away from her. She would get down on the ground and reach her leg as far under the barricade so she could to get a piece of double bubble or a necklace. There were a couple of times that I was worried I might get ticketed. (If you get caught jumping barricades during the parade they can fine you $152.) I think she would chase the floats if I let her.

Here are few misc. pictures to show what Mardi Gras parades are all about. Floats, high school bands, and motorcycle cops. The bands were all pretty tame this year. There was only one band out of all the parades that had me diverting the girls attention. Let's just say they were shaking it a little too hard.

Thanks to the Kirby's we found out that the corner of Dauphin and Conception is a pretty good spot to stand. We parked for free a few blocks away on Joachim and walked to the parade route. Most nights this includes a stop by the peanut shop for hot roasted peanuts and a diet coke for Bryan and a gigantic bag of popcorn for the girls.

I am sure that I will be sad when Mardi Gras season is over. But for now I am just ready get tomorrow over with. Besides, I still have to figure out what I am giving up for lent. (Ha, Ha!) Any suggestions?

No comments: