5/27/2008

More snacks and a confession

First the confession. I have been threatened on multiple occasions by a certain person who shall remain nameless. OK, I will give you a clue. Her names starts with an L, ends with an E, and has YNN in the middle. What is the threat? She is going to "out me" about my recipes and recommendations to try them. So my confession is, I haven't personally tasted most of the recipes I share with you. I have kind of changed the way I eat and most of these snacks and goodies don't fit into that. So, I can't really vouch for how good they are. So, I have to go on the word of my kids.
Anyway, here are a few more snacks that we have enjoyed making together over the past couple of weeks.

Sweet and Crunchy Snack Mix
2 1/2 c. Rice Chex
2 1/2 c. Honey Nut Cheerios
1 box (10 oz) honey Teddy Grahams
2 c. mini pretzels
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
4 1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. In a small bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon together; pour over cereal mixture and toss to coat. Spread into two ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 275 for 10 minutes. Stir and bake 10 min. longer.
This is a fun snack for the kids to help make. My kids, Bryan, and several visitors really enjoyed this snack.

Extreme Rice Krispy TreatsI found the recipe for these on one of my favorite food blogs. Here is the actual link to the recipe. My pictures don't look as great as hers, but my family didn't complain. They were a total hit. I have found lots of other great recipes on her blog. I am sure you will too.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Balls

My kids said these tasted like the Little Debbie Nutty Buddy snacks. They were gone within 2 days.

1 1/2 c. rice krispies

1 c. peanut butter

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow cream

1 1/2c. semi sweet chocolate chips

4 tsp. crisco

Combine rice krispies, peanut butter, and marshmallow cream into a bowl. Stir until completely mixed. Form into 1-inch balls. (I used and ice cream scoop.) Melt criscp and chocolate chips for 60-90 seconds in microwave and stir until chips are smooth. Dip balls in chocolate and place onto wax paper. Cool them in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set.

According to Bryan and the girls, these are very good.

Birds NestsMy kids were not a fan of these, but the adults that tried them said they weren't too bad. And, I thought they were too cute, not to share.

3 c. mini marshmallows

3 Tbs. butter

2 Tbs. peanut butter

1 can (5 oz.) chow mein noodles

peanut M&Ms

Combine first three indgredients in a saucepan over low heat until melted and stirring until blended. Remove from heat and stir in chow mein noodles. Place on wax paper in mounds. Press down in the middle and put M&Ms in the middle to resemble a bird's nest and eggs. You can also use jelly beans. Again, my kids didn't like these but the adults did. So try them at your own risk.

So, now everyone knows my dirty little secret. I have no idea if any of these recipes are good, so don't blame me if they aren't good. Sorry.

5 comments:

Nutty Newburns said...

Can we just come move in with yall YUMMY you are killin me!!!

Andrea said...

Annie--You are my HERO. I want to be just like you. I'm not joking!
I want to be able to cook for my kids these wonderful treats (Mike rarely eats sweets) and not be enticed to eat them! The problem for me is: The girls when get a few bites and then go to bed and then I eat the rest. NO joking and it is slowly catching up to me. So I don't make it period. We all eat fruit or freeze pops. My poor kids.
BTW, Kids are the best at choosing what is good and what is not anyway. If they don't like it, what is the purpose? So I think if your kids say they're good, you're okay to post! LOL

Lisa said...

WOW - you have the will power of Wonder Women!! there is no possible way I could fix that stuff and just not eat it - so I haven't fixed anything yummy like that in forever!! Way to go Annie!!

Lynne said...

I'm glad you finally told your secret. I didn't want to have to out you. That could've gotten ugly. Now the only secret we need to know is the secret to your willpower. Andrea-I agree, Annie is my hero, too.

Melissa said...

I love the recipe web site. i am always looking for good recipes. That stuff looks so good.