5/14/2008

I did it.

I have said before that I like to try new recipes. Well, I had never made jam before Monday, but I decided to take the plunge. This may not seem like a big deal to very many people, but it is to me. I usually stick to baked goods, casseroles, comfort food, etc. I have been having the urge to try canning somethings, so I figured strawberry jam would be safe. I had to kill some time while my oil was getting changed at Wal-mart the other day, so I picked up the supplies. I just used the recipe out of the sur-jell box, as Lynne and Ricky suggested. I was pretty impressed with the results and the kids were too. Hayden asked if she could just eat it with a spoon. After tasting it, Bryan said he was willing to just eat PB&J for dinner if I didn't want to cook. So, I am guessing it turned out OK.
I think I will have to do this again. Maybe blackberry next time. And when peaches are in season, I think I will be canning sliced peaches and making peach jam. I might be getting a little ahead of myself though. We'll see.

3 comments:

Scrappinwendi said...

Well I know how to make pickles since that is what my mom and i used to can when I was little. The jam looks yummy!

Andrea said...

It looks really good! You are inspiring me to give it a try.

Melissa said...

I love freezer jam. I wish I were there for a jam sandwich.