5/14/2008

It is a monumental day!!

A couple of weeks ago, Taylor donated her hair to Locks of Love. I had to take her the next day to get the cut cleaned up a little. The other girls had been talking about wanting haircuts, too. So we took the plunge. Here they are before:
Here they are after:

What is so monumental about this, you ask? The second two pictures were actually taken the following Monday morning before school. For the first time in her whole life, Taylor was able to fix her own hair! Yeah! Then, she fixed Payton's and Hayden's hair. This may not seem like a big deal, but it is HUGE for us. I feel so liberated. The hair fixing used to take a big chunk of my time in the morning. I know at 8 years old, Taylor may be joining the "doing your own hair" club a little late. But, the longer her hair got, the harder it was to maintain. Even pulling it back in a ponytail was a job because of all the tangles. I refer to Payton's hair as a little "fluffy." She has some natural curl, so it is usually doing its own thing. So alot of brushing, whining, and hairspray was usually involved. One of my pet peeves when dropping the girls off at school, is seeing kids that looked like they just rolled out of bed. Can you not brush your child's hair in the morning? Especially boys. How hard can it be to comb a boy's hair? (I'm sorry if that is one of your children. If it is, you can borrow my brush. I keep two in the car.) So, I have always been a little neurotic about making sure their hair is fixed when they go to school. That is not as much of a hassle anymore, because Taylor is now our little beautician. So, besides their haircuts being totally adorable. We have the bonus of Taylor being able to fix her own hair.

C/T/S (That meant change the subject when I was passing notes in middle school so I think it works here.)
I have always told Bryan I should go to Dental Hygiene school so I could clean our kids teeth. Those cleanings don't come cheap. Now, I have decided that after that, I will go to Cosmotology school to learn to cut hair. Apparently, three haircuts for kids is a whole lot more expensive than I remember. Anyone want to join me?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Your girls just blow my mind. Just knowing that a sweet young girl - who hasn't had cancer, or seen someone close to her suffer through it - to be so giving!!! It makes my heart happy. You KNOW this is a big deal to me. Hug those sweet girls for me!! I can't get over how many at her school did it too - that's so amazing!!

Scrappinwendi said...

We arent doing our own hair over here. I have to flat iron Emily's every morning. I remember doing my own hair when I was in 5th grade.

Andrea said...

Don't feel bad, I still do my girls hair and I feel the same way. I can't wait till they get their 10 inches so we (I mean I) a can be liberated too. If I left it up to Ariel, she could care less about how her hair looks! Hey if you want a companion for the classes, just let me know. I'd love to join in.

Ann said...

It isn't that I want Ross to go to school looking like a haystack, it is that he has decided he can do his own hair now too, but lack's Taylor's natural talent.