8/21/2008

Olympic fever

It seems like it all just started, but pretty soon it will be coming to a close. We have LOVED all of the olympic coverage. Obviously, we watched the swimming and the gymnastics. But we have also enjoyed volleyball, soccer, water polo, track, diving, steeple chase, marathon, etc. I have always loved watching the olympics, so I knew we had to have a little fun during the opening ceremonies. Now, we are no where near as cool as Lynne and her neighbors in Harvest Hills.
We had a good time though. We invited the Kirbys over and we actually watched the opening ceremonies. The kids enjoyed the drumming and dancing. Once the athletes started parading in, they decided to head upstairs to watch a movie. We continued to watch. Mostly to see how long those Chinese cheerleaders in the background could act excited.
What is a party without food? We had to stay with the Olympic theme. So we had pizza (our nod to Italy) and some olympic colored snacks. Bryan separated a giant bag of M&Ms (with a knife, not his hands) into the olympic colors. Hayden helped him by eating all the orange.

I made a rice krispy treat olympic rings. This was my first attempt and homemade frosting with crisco, powdered sugar, etc. It tasted WAY better than it looks.

We rounded out this healthy well-balanced menu with olympic fruit salad. We tried to add a fruit for each color in the rings. But the blackish grapes and blueberries are the same color. It still tasted good.

Although the food was good, the best part was just chilling with friends and family.

We are already talking about our party for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Good thing we don't have to actually wait until then to have a party. Because the Alabama Football season starts in 9 DAYS! YEAH! ROLL TIDE!

4 comments:

Ann said...

Annie, you are cracking me up, I have really missed your blogs! I watched a lot of the opening ceremonies too, particularlly the parade because I wanted to see if one of those cheerleaders would faint or take off those crazy boots in frustration. I was wondering what was in those water bottles to keep them dancing for 3+ hours. The kite girl and the foot painting was my favorite part.
BTW Happy Birthday!

Alabama Apples said...

What a fun party! Happy birthday to you! You do have a wonderful husband. And-your little girls look so beautiful all ready for school. They are such dolls!

Andrea said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

Maureen said...

I didn't get into the olympics too too much, but I too am looking forward to Alabama football. Its really the only football I enjoy.
Your family is very creative with all the food made for the olympics. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make that looks like an elephant for the football season.